Pinoy Basketball Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pinoy Basketball Addicts

Intense on and off the playing court

Mon23
    Mon23

Intense on and off the playing court Empty Intense on and off the playing court

Post by Mon23 Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:47 pm

May 1995

The Best-of-Seven championship showdown between Sunkist Orange Juicers and Alaska Milk has not only been intense on court but off the mahogany as well.
    It's not only the players who are involved in physical contacts and tongue-lashing but also the people around them. Sunday's game was the worst as the supporters of both camps engaged in heated arguments, one even exaggerately reacting by going to Sunkist's bench and threatening Rudy Distrito and Vergel Meneses. The guy who turned out to be an aide of Alaska team owner, Wilfred Steven Uytengsu, even allegedly tried to pull his gun from a waist, according to witnesses.
    Outraged Sunkist followers swore the guy threatened Distrito for the wrongdoing he did to Alaska rookie Jeffrey Cariaso, whose intensity just couldn't be contained by the Juicers.
    The PBA banned the said aide along with Rudy Distrito. The veteran guard was given the second stiffest penalty in the history of the 21-year-old pro hoop and the severest in this generation of basketeers - one season.
    It may be that the PBA vet, who incidentally turned 38 last Wednesday, had no intention to harm the tenacious Cariaso but all those who saw the incident thought otherwise. Good thing the 23-year old neophyte didn't suffer much from that bad fall.

An angel must have protected Cariaso

Jeffrey Cariaso thought it was the end of the world for him.
    And only his firm belief with the Almighty saved him from what could have been a crippling injury - and say goodbye to a flourishing PBA career.
    "When I entered the pro league, I knew what I am going to expect. The league, aside from oozing with talent, plays physical," said Cariaso, a sixth-round draft pick in the 1995 draft.
    Thousands of fans watched in anger and horror as Rudy "The destroyer" Distrito of Sunkist Orange Juice committed a horrendous shove on a driving Cariaso during Game 4's crunchtime at the Cuneta Astrodome.
    But just like in the movies, an unseen hand, maybe from God's servant, an angel helped Cariaso to a not-so-dangerous landing.
    The soft-spoken Cariaso lay motionless for about 20 seconds but it was clear he had escaped serious injury. Cariaso calmly took his two charities and starred as the Milkmen tied the series at 2-2. Distrito, a 15-year pro, was banned for the year. He faces revocation of his license to play.
    "I didn't know what was Distrito's main reason for playing. But it was quite unsportsmanlike for him to do such a thing," said Cariaso. "Hurting others will never be my cup of tea. I play to the best of my abilities and with God's help, may be able to help my team to the fullest."
    With his strong showing, Cariaso has become the hottest contender for the Rookie of the Year award. His main rival at the moment may yet be Sta.Lucia's Dennis Espino, who started the season late due to a broken jaw he sustained during the exhibition game in Saudi Arabia.
    However, joining the elite roster of Rookie of the Year awardees is far from Jeff's mind. All he wants is to improved his craft. "Individual awards can wait," Cariaso added.

Current date/time is Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:13 am