Pinoy Basketball Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pinoy Basketball Addicts

Presto Orphans air side

Mon23
    Mon23

Presto Orphans air side Empty Presto Orphans air side

Post by Mon23 Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:49 am

Presto orphans air side
    By: Ricky Santos
    March 1989

It is indeed very sad to see three of the league’s pioneers go. Forced into retirement this season are three of the most illustrious cagers ever to grace Asia’s only play-for-pay league. They have been part of many champion teams in the past and are in fact, three of the pillars of the fabled Crispa quintet, the only team to score a rare grandslam. In fact, the Redmanizers did it twice, in 1976 and in 1983.
    The three cagers are Atoy Co, Philip Cezar and Bernie Fabiosa. All three seem to be resigned as to their fates, but they still are hopeful a team will get their services at the last minute. At the SCOOP sa kamayan session, Bernie was quite disappointed with Presto’s decision to release him.
    “Actually, the doctor told me that I will be ready by the All-Filipino Conference of the 1989 season,” related the wily Sultan of Swipe, “but I already felt good by December of last year. Pero Presto suddenly signed up Generalao. They should have at least given me another chance." Bernie confirmed reports that he practiced with the Anejo ballclub early last month in the hope that playing coach Sonny Jaworski will be interested in his services. “Nakausap ko noon si Sonny. Sinabi niya kulang nga raw sila ng point guard. Pero hindi siya nangako na kukunin niya ako. “Tinanong niya ang salary ko sa Presto at hiningi ang phone number ko. Hanggang ngayon wala pa ring tawag,” said Fabiosa.
    From that statement, it would seem that maybe one of the reasons Jaworski didn’t get in touch with him after that was that the Big J found his asking price too high. Going over to the Fortune Cookie, he belied earlier pronouncements that his injury is the main reason why no team is eager to get him. “Nagpatingin nga ako kay Dr. Rivera last year, “ quipped Atoy. “The scan showed na mayroon ngang konting slipped sic ako. So what I did was to sit out of the playoffs for third and fourth places. Pero ngayon okay na okay na.”
    For his part, Philip said he was caught unaware by the sudden turn of events. “Hindi ko inisip na magkakaganito,” said the 1980 PBA MVP. But like a true professional, that he is, Philip is ready to accept his forced retirement. “Darating din siguro sa tao ang point na wala nang gusto kumuha sa iyo,” he said, “Ganoon talaga. Siguro hindi na bagay ang laro ko sa PBA.”
    There are reports that Crispa is planning to field a team in the PABL and the kumpadres will most likely be appointed as coaches. If there are indeed some coaching offers that come his way, Cezar said that it would be a great honor, but that it is not as easy as it looks. “kung mayroon ngang mag-oofer sa akin na mag-coach, siguro pag-aaralan ko muna nang mabuti kung kaya ko. Hindi rin kasi biro ang pagco-coach,” the heady cager said.

Last edited by Mon23 on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Mon23
    Mon23

Presto Orphans air side Empty Re: Presto Orphans air side

Post by Mon23 Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:10 am

King Philip finds a new home
    By: Ronnie Nathanielsz
    March 1989

The anguish of uncertainty is over for Philip Cezar, the PBA veteran whose defensive genius, particularly against bigger and taller opponents including imports, has been a hallmark of a 14 year career in the pro league.
    After a workout with Anejo Rum 65 before a large and appreciative crowd at the San Agustin Gym in Dasmarinas Village last Thursday evening and a dinner with the team, playing coach Sonny Jaworski told me that he and Cezar had come to terms and the gazelle-like veteran would suit up for the league’s most popular ballclub this season.
    It all began when Jaworski returned from the US last Tuesday along with import Carlton McKinney and learned that Cezar, along with long time friends and teammates Atoy Co and Bernie Fabiosa of the glory days of Crispa, hadn’t been signed up by any PBA team.
    With the recent surgery on Dondon Ampalayo’s right knee which means he will be sidelined for several weeks and the nasty car crash of lanky Cayetano Salazar last Valentines day which is bound to keep him out of action for months, Jaworski realized that there is a gaping void in his frontline.
    With Romeo dela Rosa, Jaworski’s first round draft pick unwilling to negotiate with the team and demanding a ridiculous P60,000 a month salary, his problems up front were further compounded. Overtures from Formula Shell for a trade involving dela Rosa for Rey Cuenco didn’t make much headway because of the number of constraints, including advances and other fringe benefits given Cuenco by Shell, alongside a rather big monthly salary. Besides, Jaworski was determined to make sure that rookie dela Rosa learned his lessons the hard way by abiding by PBA rules whereby a rookie who is drafted and does not come to terms with the drafting team sits out the entire year before going back to the pool for the following season’s draft.
    Jaworski initially asked me what I felt about his plans of sounding out Cezar last Wednesday. I told him Cezar would be a tremendous asset to the team especially in the wake of Dondon’s injury and Salazar’s accident. Besides, I told him, with gangling Romulo Mamaril, rookie Peter Aguilar and Cezar up front, Anejo would be competitive.
    Anejo Rum assistant coach Rino Salazar later Wednesday was trying to find out how to contact Cezar but I was able to get a message to Philip who called the Manila Peninisula and spoke to Rino who, at 4 p.m. was in the clinic of PBA Dr. Ben Salud since the imports were being measured at that time. Cezar and Salazar spoke briefly and Philip showed up at the San Agustin Gym towards the end of the practice and spoke to Jaworski and Salazar.
    Thursday evening I dropped by the Anejo practice and there was Philip Cezar, working out with the team. Clearly, the fans were thrilled a the sight of Cezar practicing with the Anejo team and applauded enthusiastically when Jaworski, Cezar and McKinney executed some fancy passing in the offensive play. At the end of a tough grind, Jaworski told me that there are only a few minor details to be worked out but that he expected everything to be settled over a team dinner.
    And it was. So the veteran superstar they sometimes refer to as “King Philip” has, after some anxious moments, found a home in Anejo. The 36 year old, 6’3” center-forward whose career appeared to be on the verge of being prematurely cut short was clearly overjoyed not merely at the prospect of continuing to play in the PBA but at the opportunity of playing for the league’s most popular ballclub. Cezar confided that he had sleepless nights over his predicament after Presto Ice Cream decided not to renew his contract and no other PBA team appeared interested in him. He felt that apart from having a chance to prove himself, the stint with Anejo and playing alongside Jaworski would enable him to bow out, when he does, with grace and dignity.

Current date/time is Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:40 pm