Pinoy Basketball Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pinoy Basketball Addicts

#2 The Black Superman: Billy Ray Bates

Mon23
    Mon23

#2 The Black Superman: Billy Ray Bates Empty #2 The Black Superman: Billy Ray Bates

Post by Mon23 Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:09 pm

All about the PBA's greatest import, the Black Superman Billy Ray Bates.

In 1987, while playing for Ginebra San Miguel, Bates outdid his previous average of 49.6 ppg in 1986, posting a 54.9 ppg with a single-game high of 71 points.

Two boxscores I had with Bates scoring 69 points.

October 16, 1986

Ginebra (140) - Bates 69, Hackett 30, Isaac 13, Saldana 12, Arnaiz 8, C.Loyzaga 4, Gonzalgo 2, Jaworski 0, Ampalayo 0, Mamaril 0.

Magnolia (130) - Harris 44, Lim 34, Title 19, Pumaren 12, Calma 8, Reyes 5, Teng 4, Yturri 4, Dignadice 0.

Quarterscores: 22-30, 57-56, 103-93, 140-130

October 25, 1987

Ginebra (132) - Bates 69, C.Loyzaga 14, Carbonilla 14, Distrito 10, Jaworski 8, Gonzalgo 5, J.Loyzaga 4, Isaac 4, Ducut 2, Codinera 2, Advani 0.

Shell (123) - Shouse 55, Solis 21, Cuenco 14, Victorino 12, Herrera 6, Ang 5, Lazaro 4, Ravanes 4, Marquez 2, Austria 0, Cristobal 0, Cabatu 0.

Quarterscores: 29-17, 70-39, 98-76, 132-123

#2 The Black Superman: Billy Ray Bates Empty Re: #2 The Black Superman: Billy Ray Bates

Post by Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:41 pm

Black Superman wants to coach in PBA

by Rey Joble

FOR Billy Ray Bates, the phrase “welcome home” was the most satisfying greeting he heard the moment he set his foot anew on Philippine soil.

“It’s like a home away from home. Things have changed now. There are more infrastructure, more traffic, more restaurants and more choices,” said Bates in an interview with Manila Standard.

“But to hear people calling you, Black Superman, and asking you how long you’re going to be here? It makes you feel that you’re still not forgotten and Filipino basketball fans still remember you,” said Bates, the former Portland Trail Blazers star, who took the Philippine Basketball Association by storm, leading the Crispa Redmanizers to a grand slam in 1983.

“My only regret was that I left the Philippines because I got homesick. Now that I’m here, I hardly miss America. Black Superman is here to stay, for awhile,” he added.

Imports staying here and calling the Philippines home isn’t a new thing.

Norman Black started his Philippine career in 1981 playing as import of Teflin and has stayed here for good, raising a family and starting a successful career both in the PBA and the University Athletic Association of the Philippines.

Bobby Parks came here in 1987, became the PBA’s seven-time Best Import and now has a son, Ray Parks, who is continuing the legacy of the family playing ball.

Both Black and Parks have already been inducted to the PBA Hall of Fame and Bates finally got the chance to be part of the elite group. Last night, Bates was inducted to the Hall of Fame, together with former Crispa coach Tommy Manotoc, his former teammate Freddie Hubalde, Alvin Patrimonio, the PBA’s only other four-time Most Valuable Player (the other one being Ramon Fernandez), the late former PBA commissioner Mariano Yenko, former national team coach Tito Eduque and Vintage Enterprises Chief Executive Officer Bobong Velez.

“This means my stint in the Philippines as a player is mission accomplished,” said Bates.

But what will make Bates stay in the country for good?

“If the opportunity comes, then I will stay. I am looking at the possibility of coaching, preferably in the PBA. God has given me this talent and I would like to impart these to young players, give emphasis on hard work and doing the right things that will make them thorough champions,” said Bates.

Three years later after leading the Redmanizers to a triple crown, Bates returned to play for crowd favorite Ginebra, where he joined forces with an old nemesis–playing coach Robert Jaworski.

“How can you forget Jaworski? He ran by me and I was grimacing in pain when he hit me in the abdomen,” said Bates. “But he took me in and we led the team to the championship. I could never forget the crowd. They were practically all cheering for us.”

Bates ranked the Big J as one of the PBA’s best local players, along with his former Crispa teammates.

“(Philip) Cezar, (Abet) Guidaben, Hubalde, they’re great players and we did the right things then in beating Great Taste in 1983.

Ricardo Brown was a great rookie at that time and we did the right thing to contain him. Norman Black is the first person that comes to my mind when I’m being asked as who are the greatest imports I played against. And my man, Lew Massey, Glen Hagan and Larry McNeil, they were household names, even before I came. Michael Young gave me nightmares when we played against Manila Beer in the ‘86 finals and Bobby Parks was exceptional. Even his son, Ray Ray, is a good player. I’ve played against him in the States,” said Bates.

Bates picked Manotoc, his Crispa coach, and Baby Dalupan of Great Taste as the two great coaches he had seen in the PBA.

“Manotoc was a great coach, particularly in scouting his opponents,” said Bates. “And coach Dalupan also did a great job making Great Taste a good team. Man, coach Baby hated me.”

Everybody loves to see Bates in full flight during his playing days, that fans called him the “Black Superman,” remembered for his head band, his wrist band, the rim-rattling slams and his long toms.

But Bates wants to have a new identity once he starts his coaching career in the Philippines.

“I want to be remembered as Billy Ray Bates, the coach. As simple as that,” said Bates.

Source: Manila Standard

>Dito na pala sha nagsusulat (coach05) #2 The Black Superman: Billy Ray Bates 1831069210

#2 The Black Superman: Billy Ray Bates Empty Re: #2 The Black Superman: Billy Ray Bates

Post by Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:38 pm

Billy Ray Bates PBA Hall of Fame Speech

Full text of PBA Hall of Fame speech by Billy Ray Bates:

"When I first learned I was going to be inducted into the PBA (Hall of Fame), it felt good...until I realized I would have to give a speech.

You know I like talking but being in front of 20,000 people without a basketball in my hands is harder than stopping me from scoring 46 points in a game back when I was playing here in 1983.

But even harder was leaving the PBA and the Philippines because of what the PBA and the Filipino people have meant to me.

I want to first thank the PBA because my time in the league changed my life. It gave me a second chance to live my dream of playing before thousands of fans who loved basketball like me. It also gave me an opportunity to play at the same level as I did in the NBA and show people why they call me the Black Superman.

This honor means so much to me because my time in the PBA was the biggest accomplishment I had in my life. Here I posted some of my greatest stats - 73 points in one game - 29 rebounds in a single game - and 11 assists in one night - at a time in my life when some people thought I could not play at that level anymore.

I take this award as a symbol of the love the Filipino fans have for me. My career would not be what it was without your cheers and well wishes and welcoming attitude toward me. You accepted me for who I was and showed me love. There is no award big enough to represent my gratitude for my fans. I love you.

Although this award honors my past achievements, I see this honor as the start of new opportunities to reconnect with the Philippines. I have always loved this country and believed in its potential to use basketball as a way to bring families together and create a stronger connection among its citizens. It has also reached beyond its borders to build ties with athletes from foreign countries to share in its love of our sport.

That love of our sport in the Philippines had led to new opportunities for me. It has sparked my interest in returning to the PBA. Let me state this clearly - I want to be the next new coach in the PBA. I have also had the chance to talk with members of the business community, including Grosby, the company that produced my red and white sneakers. The reason why I want to come back is because I want to give back to the Philippines and inspire the people of this country the way they inspired me.

Finally, I have to thank one more person - God. It is through Him I found the inspiration to pursue my dream, learned how hope and faith can lead to change and a positive life. I have made some wrong choices but learned how to make the right choices through Him. I thank Him continuously for helping me make one of my best choices - coming to the PBA and the Philippines.

Thank you."

*Note: Coach Ronnie Magsanoc felt bad because he missed seeing Billy Ray Bates read his speech on-air during the PBA on AKTV halftime show last Sunday. Coach Ronnie and new PBA Hall of Famer Alvin Patrimonio are proud Crispa die-hards (which means kalaban ko sila because Toyota die-hard ako along with Olsen Racela and Dondon Hontiveros). Well Coach Ronnie, that's why I posted the full speech here. Hope you enjoyed reading it.

Source: MH

Post by Guest Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:07 pm

In a total of 98 career games in the league, Bates averaged 46.2 points -– the highest for imports who scored at least 4,000 points in their PBA careers — 12.4 rebounds, 5.7 assists, 1.3 steals and 39% shooting from three-point range.

But like what happened to Bates in the United States, his PBA career ended with a thud. In 1988, at age 32, Bates’ PBA career ended after just four games with Ginebra. To compare, Norman Black and Bobby Parks — the first two imports inducted into the PBA Hall of Fame — played their last games in the league at ages 38 and 37, respectively.

Bates’ profile in the 1988-89 PBA Annual detailed where things went wrong: “In his younger days, Bates could get away with his all-night carousing and beer-drinking and was still able to mesmerize fans and opponents with his skills… Those days were long gone in 1988, and Billy didn’t change his ways. One of 1988’s PBA sob stories.. Long-time NBA veteran and CBA legend is finished as far as basketball in Manila is concerned.”

BILLY RAY BATES BLEW his first chance with the Blazers in the NBA, and blew his second one in the PBA. Would anyone be willing him a third chance in the Philippines?

“I was thinking of getting him as skills coach but he now walks with a limp,” San Miguel Corporation basketball official Robert Non was quoted to have said. “So how can he be skills coach?”

But in case Bates gets a job here in Manila, can he really stay away from booze and drugs — the things that caused his downfall in the first place? Can Billy Ray really stay clean?

How many times should a person a chance to mend his ways and turn his life around?

It’s hard to imagine what would happen to Bates if it turns out that there’s no one willing to trust him enough to give him a job. He reportedly works in the United States as a “sanitation engineer” — a janitor in layman’s terms — and the Philippines could very well be his last opportunity.

If he doesn’t get a job here, he’ll be forced to return home. And then what? I shudder to think what would happen next.

I feel for Billy Ray but I wish his life will still have a happy ending.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:34 am