Pinoy Basketball Addicts

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pinoy Basketball Addicts

The Jaworski-Ginebra break-up

Mon23
    Mon23

The Jaworski-Ginebra break-up Empty The Jaworski-Ginebra break-up

Post by Mon23 Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:43 am

Quo Vadis, Sonny?
    By Butch Vallega
    December 1998

December 3, 1998 would have been marked with a black pen because that was the day when the "Living Legend" of Philippine basketball, Robert Jaworski, announced his resignation from the Ginebra San Miguel team that has been a part of his illustrious career for the past 15 years.
    But the impact to sports-loving Filipinos in general was, to say the least, moderate. This is because Jaworski is saying goodbye to a team and not to the sport that has made him a certified icon.
    The Senator and his junior Dodot resigned last week as coach and player of Ginebra, lamenting the fact that he was bypassed by the new management of La Tondena Distillers Inc. in the appointment of new assistant playing coach Allan Caidic. "Nag-buzzer na at wala ng last two minutes," said Jaworski.
    Jaworski expressed disappointment on the new policy and system being implemented by the new LTD front-office saying this will cause demoralization to other players who have served and dedicated their lives with the company.
    "Noong araw naniniwala ako sa salitang may pinagsamahan. Pero ngayon hindi na. I have serve the company for 15 years but the new management didn't look back," Jaworski said. He added: "It will be very difficult for me to even be a party to an organization that doesn't look and believe to such an important and meaningful word as loyalty."
    Jaworski denied that he is against the designation of Caidic as Ginebra's new acting assistant playing coach. "Caidic is not important in the situation. I have worked even with the staunchest of my rivals. I have brought them to the forefront of our organization all in the light of fairness, equality, and opportunity. So walang question iyon. It's just the process by which this is being introduced," he said.
    Jaworski also said that two of his colleagues, Rino Salazar and Philip Cezar could also be affected and might be displaced because of the new set-up. On his part, Dodot is determined not to renew his contract with La Tondena ballclub anymore.
    To be sure, the Big J's abrupt resignation from Ginebra had its impact on the sporting community but not as walloping as it could be had he quit basketball altogether. The only ones who were truly affected by it all are the true-blooded Ginebra/Gordons Gin fans who have learned to love almost everyone in that line-up, from the head of the gung-ho pack in Jaworski Sr., down to enforcer Wilmer Ong who wouldn't have gained the popularity he is getting now if he was not a part of the La Tondena team.
    Sure, Ginebra San Miguel will stay in the PBA but the team is expected to undergo a major makeover. The biggest change is that Jaworski will no longer be calling the shots and so expect the Gins not to employ any longer, his gung-ho type of play that relies mostly on killer instincts and instinct fortitude.
    So have we seen the last of Jaworski? Certainly not. The final buzzer may have sounded but least you forget, that is just one chapter in the Jaworski saga.
    Tomorrow, another chapter begins.

Current date/time is Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:21 pm